Welcome to the TorrentLawyer Blog, a Cashman Law Firm, PLLC resource. The purpose of this sticky post is to be simplistic and help you to navigate this site (which as of 2023, has over 200+ articles on the copyright cases we have worked on since 2010).
All copyright infringement lawsuits are filed in Federal Courts and are bound by the same Federal Rules of Civil Procedure. However, depending on whether you are accused of downloading MOVIES OR FILMS, or whether you are accused of SOFTWARE PIRACY, [and WHERE YOU ARE in the timeline of the lawsuit (a John Doe defendant, or a named and served defendant) we will change how we interact with your copyright case.
The simplest approach to understanding your options is to understand WHERE YOU ARE IN THE LAWSUIT:
WHERE ARE YOU IN THE LAWSUIT?
You are likely in one of three places in your lawsuit. You have either:
- you have been implicated as a “John Doe” defendant in a “MOVIE LAWSUIT,” or
- you have been “NAMED AND SERVED” as a defendant in that lawsuit (this usually happens 90+ days later).
- received an ISP subpoena notification letter implicating you as a “John Doe” defendant in a [Siemens Industry Software Inc.] “SOFTWARE PIRACY LAWSUIT,”
NAVIGATION: ITEMS 1 & 2: “JOHN DOE” ISP SUBPOENA / COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT LAWSUITS:
“MOVIE LAWSUITS” (e.g., Strike 3 Holdings LLC, Malibu Media LLC, Fallen Productions Inc., HB Productions Inc.)
1. You received an “ISP Subpoena Notification Letter” from your ISP and you have been implicated as a “John Doe” defendant in a lawsuit.
2. You have since been “Named and Served” as a defendant, and you have procedural deadlines.
NAVIGATION: ITEM 3 – SOFTWARE PIRACY LAWSUITS (SIEMENS, ANSYS, ETC.)
“SOFTWARE PIRACY LAWSUITS” (e.g., Siemens Industry Software Inc., Ansys Inc.*, etc.)
* I have not written up the articles for the Ansys Inc. lawsuits 1) because they were so new — this was the first time they sued defendants, and 2) because they were 100% following the Siemens model of turning accused defendants into legitimate customers.
DOING IN-DEPTH RESEARCH ON EACH COPYRIGHT HOLDER:
Alternatively, instead of going through a WALKTHROUGH that applies to where you are in the lawsuit (our recommended choice), you can delve more in-depth into your particular copyright holder to learn what our experiences have been [by reading the in-depth blog articles that we have written] over the years. By doing this you will get significantly more historical information and FAQ articles, but remember — I wrote these articles as the cases unfolded.
STEP 1: CHOOSE YOUR COPYRIGHT HOLDER
Follow the links “down the rabbit hole” to learn everything you can about the copyright holder. When you have read enough, proceed to STEP 2. and contact me with your questions.
- Strike 3 Holdings, LLC (“Vixen/Tushy/Blacked”)
- Siemens Industry Software, Inc. (“Siemens Software”)
- In re: Hawaiian Telecom movie “lawsuit” filed by Kerry Culpepper of Culpepper IP
- Malibu Media, LLC (“X-Art Siterips”)
- HB Productions, Inc. (“Hellboy”)
- Fallen Productions, Inc. (“Angel Has Fallen”)
STEP 2: BOOK A PHONE CONSULTATION WITH AN ATTORNEY
ONCE YOU HAVE READ ABOUT YOUR COPYRIGHT HOLDER, SPEAK TO AN ATTORNEY TO HELP YOU UNDERSTAND YOUR OPTIONS.
Once you get the information you are looking for, you’ll probably want to contact a Cashman Law Firm, PLLC attorney to speak about your particular issue.
The three methods in which to speak to a Cashman Law Firm, PLLC attorney are:
Method #1) Schedule a phone appointment.
- SCHEDULE A PHONE CONSULTATION. Most phone consultation appointments are free (I like them that way), but there are some paid spots if you have a last minute issue.
Method #2) Fill out a contact form.
Method #3) E-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org, or send me a Text Message/WhatsApp to 713-364-3476.
STEP 3: E-SIGN RETAINER AGREEMENT, RELAX.
Once you speak to an attorney, you will be provided an e-mail containing a Cashman Law Firm, PLLC fee agreement. Once you decide to retain the Cashman Law Firm, PLLC to represent you in your matter, follow the instructions to e-sign the agreement.
The steps are 1) e-sign the agreement, 2) process your payment, 3) provide paperwork relevant to your matter.
At that point, we become your attorney.
As the owner of the Cashman Law Firm, PLLC, and the author of this blog (and as an attorney who has served hundreds of clients in these cases), I prefer that you grab a phone appointment, or write me using either the contact form or by just sending me an e-mail.
There are often hundreds of people implicated in these lawsuits each month, and it is common for more people to call than we have staff to answer those calls. To competently serve our clients, we limit the number of clients we take each month, and there is a natural limit on the number of calls we are physically able to answer. As such, I ask that you be patient, and that you follow the instructions in order to get in touch with me. If you do, we could possibly be speaking about your case in the next few hours.